Mission Statement, Value Statement and Principles of the SUO
The Students’ Union’s mission is to:
- Provide accessible, high-quality services;
- Facilitate events, activities and student clubs to enhance campus life;
- Undertake advocacy to ensure students’ rights are respected, and concerns are heard by decision-makers; and,
- Practice good governance in the operations of the Students’ Union
We achieve our mission by ensuring that all of our priorities fall into one of three areas of activity: Service, Advocacy, and Campus Life; all guided by strong governance practices.
The Students’ Union of UBC Okanagan strives to create an atmosphere that is:
- For and by students through governance, employment, programs, and involvement
- Entertaining, fun and high energy environment
- Able to ensure that all our membership and staff: Have their voice heard on issues that are important to them. Protect and promote their rights. Have their views and wishes genuinely considered when decisions are being made about their lives.
- Welcoming, friendly and respectful
- Clean and well-maintained facility
- Accessible to the campus community
- Promote and practice diversity through opportunities and programs
- Encourage comradeship and interaction
Centre of Campus Life
- Convenient and quality retail, food, services and activities
- Safe, comfortable and relaxing place to be
- Numerous versatile, flexible and well-equipped gathering spaces
- Diverse, equitable and multi-cultural event and engagement opportunities
We continuously cultivate a community of care that ensures our members and staff feel welcomed and appreciated.
We lead with a good example by ensuring we always take responsibility for our actions and words, through ensuring our decisions are aligned with bettering the student experience.
We appreciate the value of diverse opinions in developing approaches to varying situations.
We create an environment where our members and staff are encouraged to engage with us and where we are able to share openly about our business practices and actions.
We understand and accept the consequences of our actions for the areas in which we assume responsibility.